WHO ARE WE ?
The Zambia Electronic Clearing House Limited (ZECHL), is a non-profit making entity registered under the Companies Act No 10 of 2017. It is a private company limited by Shares. It was formed in 1999 and the current Shareholders are the Bank of Zambia and 18 Commercial Banks.
The Company was formed for the purpose of providing interbank clearing and switching services to Bank of Zambia, Commercial Banks and Financial Institutions. The ZECHL operates the National Financial Switch (NFS) and the Cheque Truncation System (CTS), which are common/shared payment gateways that facilitate efficient and secure payment processing and interconnectivity between multi-payment institutions within the country. Supported streams on the platform include ATM, POS, EFT, CIC, and Mobile transactions all taking place across participant networks. All participant interfaces and messages on the NFS are based on the ISO 8583:1993 standard.
Extended to this service is the role of performing daily industry net settlement reporting for each stream or participant and provide an approved clearing cycle.
The centre of excellence and innovation of payment services
To provide an efficient, reliable, and value-driven payments system to the Zambian market
A National Switch is a payment gateway that facilitates efficient payment processing and interoperability between the service offering of commercial banks, non-bank financial organizations and various other payment institutions within Zambia.
The switch went live on 23 September 2018 switching ATM transactions and about a year later, 30 September 2019 went live on POS switching.
- Reduce infrastructure acquisition and transaction costs through shared centralized infrastructure among financial institutions and customers in Zambia;
- Provide/Promote a multifaceted inter-bank switching platform for all delivery channels that will easily be interoperable with other payment and settlement systems;
- Promote the development of e-products and delivery channels that would extend the coverage of financial services in Zambia;
- To reduce the usage of cash and paper based financial instruments in Zambia through the introduction of secure and reliable electronic payment methods.
- Promote real-time payment of transactions through Straight Through Processing in order to enhance efficiency
- National Financial Switch
- Electronic Funds Transfer
- Cheque Truncation System
- Centralized Debit Mandates
- Net Settlement Reporting